Trekking up to the Madhugiri Monolithic Hill near Bangalore is exhilarating, scenic and a challenging experience. Although there are steps and railings along the trail to assist trekkers, one still has to put their hiking skills to the test to walk through rough terrain and steep rocks.
Image Credits: wikimedia.org
The plus side of hiking up to Madhugiri Fort is that you’ll be hiking against a backdrop of stunning picture-perfect scenery. After a tough hike you will reach the summit where you will see the the Madhugiri Fort. From the boundaries of the fort, catch breathtaking and panoramic views of the valley below, and see the rolling hills around.
Trekking up to Madhugiri Fort is a fantastic experience. It may be challenging but the trek is guided by experienced trekkers who know the routes well so you can feel confident of your safety. There is a convenient pick up and drop from Bangalore to the trekking location, too.
An Overview Of Madhugiri Trek:
Location: Madhugiri Hill is located in the Tumkur District of Karnataka
Difficulty Level: Moderate to Strenuous
Distance from Bangalore: 105 kilometres
Famous for: Challenging trekking trail, monolithic rock formation, landscape views of villages
Trip Duration: One Day
Trek Distance & Duration: 8 kilometres, approximately 3 hours to complete the trek. Timings and distances may differ due to multiple route options.
Altitude: 1,200 metres
Even though the trek is a short, just 8 kilometres both ways, climbing through some portions of rocky and steep terrain might seem endless. Despite parts of the hill having stilts and steps to help climbers, trekking at Madhugiri is still quite challenging.
How to reach Madhugiri:
1. If travelling by public transport, take a Sarige or KSRTC Bus from Majestic to Madhugiri. The KSRTC bus leaves Majestic every 25 minutes. A bus takes 3 hours to reach Madhugiri.
2. There are two routes from Bangalore to Madhugiri. One is via Tumkur and the other is via Nelamangala. The journey of around 100 kilometres can be covered in 3 hours - the Tumkur route being a bit longer in distance.
Madhugiri Weather Conditions:
1. Summers in Madhugiri are hot, temperatures rise up to as high as 38°C. Summer begins in the end of April and goes on till May
2. Monsoon in Madhugiri starts from the month of July up until August.
3. It can get cold while trekking in winter that begins from November and ends in February.
Madhugiri Trek Route:
1. The best way to get to the fort is to trek via the marked route from the bottom of the fort hill.
2. There are steps that take you halfway through the climb.
3. After you climb the flight of stairs and pass through steep slopes, you will come across old arches that lie in ruins.
4. Follow the marked route from here to get to the top.
5. At the top of mountain is the Madhugiri Fort and the Gopal Krishna Temple.
Best Time for Madugiri Trek:
Trekkers who love a good challenge can trek up the Madhugiri Hill during the monsoon season. On the other hand, those who enjoy scenery may prefer to trek during the the winter season. Avoid going in summer as the weather can get very hot.
Madugiri Trek - One Day Itinerary:
1. Leave Bangalore at 3 am, stopping at scheduled pick up spots to get other trekkers.
2. Reach Madhugiri by 6 am.
3. Have breakfast and at 7 am get instructions from the trek guides.
4. Begin climbing up Madhugiri Hill by 7.30 am.
5. Reach the peak by 9 am
6. Spend an hour relaxing and exploring Madhugiri Fort.
7. Make the descent to the base at 10 am and reach by 11.30 am.
9. Have lunch and leave for Bangalore.
Things to Carry:
- Drinking water
- Comfortable trekking shoes
- A light jacket or raincoat, depending on the season
- Sunscreen lotion, moisturiser and insect repellent
- Tissue paper
- A cap and sunglasses (if necessary)
- Dry fruits, energy bars (if necessary)
- Camera (optional)
- Trekking Poles for those steep slopes (Optional)
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The cost of the trek includes:
1. Transportation and breakfast
2. First-aid support
3. Trek guides and instructors
The trek cost does not include:
1. Meals on the bus
3. Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
Best time to visit:
The best time to trek to Madhugiri is between the months of October to December. The weather is cool and the misty mountains are a sight to behold. Trekking during the monsoon is good only if you are an experience trekker as the rocks can get a bit slippery, making it difficult to climb on.
Madhugiri Trek Map Location:
Madhugiri Hill is located about a 100 kilometres away from Bangalore. Since it is only a short drive away, the place is popular with many outdoor and adventure enthusiasts who often visit for a quick trek to the top of the hill.
3 Amazing Things to Do On The Madhugiri Trek:
1. Explore Old Arches: Halfway through the trek, you will come across abandoned and old arches. Spend some time exploring these arches and browse through the intricate artwork on the pillars.
2. Visit the Madhugiri Fort: Madhugiri Fort is located at the top of the hill. Spend some time exploring this old fort and soak in the stunning views of the landscape nearby.
3. Visit Kote Anjaneya Temple: On your way back to the base, stop at the Kote Anjaneya Temple, which is known for housing a 75-feet tall Hanuman statue that was blessed by Sri Vyasaraja.
- The trek can be difficult, so do not attempt it unless you are physically fit. If you do have any ailments, consult your doctor before you go.
- Wear comfortable and appropriate footwear with good grip to tackle the tricky parts of the trail.
- Carry your personal medication as medical stores may not be in close proximity.
- Take enough rest the day before we leave for the trek, you want to be fresh and ready to make the climb up to the Madhugiri fort.
- If possible, carry a trekking pole, it will be handy for those steep slopes you encounter midway through the trek.
Treks Similar to Madhugiri Trek:
There are a number of places for trekking in Bangalore. Here are the top picks for adventure treks, similar to Madhugiri Trek:
- Ramanagara Trek
- Kudremukh Trek
- Skandagiri Trek
- Makalidurga Trek
- Kopatty Trek
- Savandurga Trek
- Sakleshpur Trek
- Nishani Motte Trek
- Mullayanagiri Trek
- Tadiandamol Trek
- Kodachadri Trek
- Anthargange Trek
- Sharavathi Trek
- Kotagiri Trek
- Kunti Betta Trek
- Bheemeshwari Trek
- Brahmagiri Trek
- Kurangani Trek
- Kemmangundi Trek
- Pushpagiri Trek
- Dudhsagar Trek
- Kundadri Trek
- Baba Budangiri Trek