Trekking through Sharavathi Valley feels like hiking through paradise. Surrounded by the breathtaking Western Ghats, Sharavathi has always been a top hiking spot for all kinds of trekkers and nature lovers.
Image Credits: wikimedia.org
The trek offers you the chance to explore and enjoy the backwaters and scenic valleys. For most parts, the trail is flanked by palm trees and rivers. There is also the famous Unchalli and Dabbe Falls to visit along the way. A mix of dense forests, marshy lands and foggy mountain tops is what makes the Sharavathi Valley trail popular.
Trekking through Sharavathi Valley is a memorable experience. Expert guides take you through scenic routes. Stay is comfortable in cosy homestays and there are plenty of interactive outdoor activities to participate in. There is also a pick up and drop facility from Bangalore.
Sharavathi Trek - An Overview:
Difficulty Level: Easy to Moderate
Distance from Bangalore: 396 kilometres
Famous for: Waterfalls, scenic views, beautiful trails
Trip Duration: Two days, one nights
Trek Distance & Duration: 14 kilometres depending on the route you take, approximately 4 hours to complete the trek. Timings and distances may differ due to multiple route options.
Altitude: 728 metres
The difficulty depends on how skilled you are at trekking. Amateur trekkers will find the trek moderately difficult, while those with a little or vast experience will find the trek easy.
How to Reach Sharavathi:
1. If driving down to Sharavathi from Bangalore, take the route between NH 50 and route 60.
2. The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation runs buses from Bangalore to Sharavathi daily.
3. There are two trains that depart from Bangalore for Sharavathi. It should take you between 4-5 hours to reach Sharavathi by rail.
Sharavathi Weather Conditions:
1. Summer is beings in March to goes on till May. The temperature during summer in Sharavathi is hot, but it is not too uncomfortable for trekking.
2. The monsoons are cool and run from June to August. The weather is lovely during this season.
3. Winters are cool and comfortable to trek. Winter kicks in from November and lasts till February.
The Sharavathi Trek Route:
Trek Route 1:
1. Your best bet is to take the route that begins at Kattinakkare. Although long, it passes through scenic surroundings and leads to the Meguru Falls before converging at Sharavathi Peak.
Trek Route 2:
2. The route from Karni is also a good choice, it passes through Belligundi Falls. Just before the falls is an old ruined temple that is fascinating to explore.
Trek Route 3:
3. A third option is to start from Bheemeshwara. This route passes through a few falls and the River Sharavathi.
Best Time for a Sharavathi Trek:
The best time to go trekking in Sharavathi is between the months of September and March. Temperatures are cool and the surroundings look fresh and green.
Sharavathi Trek - Two Day Itinerary:
1. Leave Bangalore at 9.30 pm, pick up passengers along the way.
2. Reach the homestay in Sharavathi the next day by 7 am.
3. After eating a breakfast and a briefing session by the group leader, begin the trek at 8 am.
4. Reach the peak by 12 pm, have lunch at the top of the mountain and rest for a while.
5. Make the climb down to base by 2.30 pm to reach by 6.30 pm.
6. Head to the homestay and freshen up.
7. Have dinner by 8 pm and enjoy a campfire before retiring to bed.
7. Wake up at 8 am, have breakfast and immediately visit the Jog falls and islands for sightseeing.
8. Have lunch along the way (self-sponsored).
9. Reach Bangalore by 10 pm.
Things to carry:
1. Drinking water. At least 2-3 litres
2. Carry a torch and wear a good pair of trekking shoes
3. A change of clothes and an extra pair of socks
4. Camera (optional)
5. Cap, sunglasses and light Jacket (optional)
6. A backpack to keep your supplies
7. Energy bars or dry fruits (optional)
8. Sunscreen, moisturiser and insect repellent
9. Toothbrush, toothpaste and a towel
10. Personal medication for two days
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The package includes the following:
1. Transport fare from and back to Bangalore
2. First-Aid Support
3. Homestay and Meals
4. Forest Department Permissions
5. Trek Guide Fees
The packages does not include the following:
1. Meals on the bus
3. Lunch on the second day
4. Any other cost not in the inclusions
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to trek at Sharavathi Valley is either during the monsoon or between October and November. The temperatures are cooler during these periods, so it is comfortable to trek. The monsoon season is when the Sharavathi valley is at its picturesque best, it is the best time to click stunning pictures of the natural surroundings.
Sharavathi Trek Map Location:
The Sharavathi Valley is around 396 kilometres away from Bangalore. Although long, the journey is scenic and comfortable for most parts. There are small sections along the way that have curvy road and steep climbs. The drive from Bangalore to Sharavathi takes around 9 hours to complete.
3 Amazing Things to Do on the Sharavathi Trek:
1. Enjoy a Coracle Ride: Enjoy riding a Coracle boat through the Sharavathi River. A once in a lifetime experience, riding on a Coracle is calming and you can enjoy gazing at scenery along the banks of the river.
2. Camping: In and around the trail, there’s plenty of open spots that are ideal for camping. Set-up your tent, light a bonfire, sing a few songs or just have a good time in the company of nature.
3. Visit the Waterfalls: One of the things that the Sharavathi trail is famous for is its waterfalls. There are quite a few amazing falls along the way. Stop for a short-time at these falls and swim under the gushing water. The best one to see is the Jog Waterfall.
1. The trek is a long one and the trail can be challenging, you must ensure that you are in top physical condition before embarking on this trek.
2. Follow all the instructions given by the group leader before we head out to trek at Sharavathi Valley.
3. Carry all of your prescribed medication, there is a likely chance that there won’t be well-stocked chemist stores around.
4. Wear a good pair of trekking shoes with good grip, some portions of the trail might have uneven surfaces to trek on.
5. Make sure you get enough rest before heading out for the trek.
Treks Similar to Sharavathi Trek:
Explore some of the best spots for trekking near Bangalore. Below are similar treks:
- Ramanagara Trek
- Kudremukh Trek
- Skandagiri Trek
- Makalidurga Trek
- Savandurga Trek
- Kopatty Trek
- Sakleshpur Trek
- Nishani Motte Trek
- Mullayanagiri Trek
- Tadiandamol Trek
- Kodachadri Trek
- Anthargange Trek
- Sharavathi Trek
- Kotagiri Trek
- Kunti Betta Trek
- Bheemeshwari Trek
- Brahmagiri Trek
- Kurangani Trek
- Kemmangundi Trek
- Pushpagiri Trek
- Dudhsagar Trek
- Kundadri Trek
- Baba Budangiri Trek