Although there are many hiking trails in Sakleshpur, the best one is Murkan Gudda trail. The experience of trekking to Murkan Gudda is unique in that it is one of the few hiking trails in Karnataka that passes through varied terrain. This trail offers scenic landscape views of the valley.
The trek starts at a quaint village and as you make your way up you will pass many look out points that offer great views of tea plantations, valleys and the Amedikallu Peak. Mid-way through the trek, you will reach a massive man-made lake - a great spot for relaxing and swimming. From here you will then move through plantations and dense forests until you reach the hill’s peak.
Trekking to Murkan Gudda is a great experience for nature lovers with the wonderful views and greenery around. Apart from trekking, you can also enjoy a spot of bird-watching.
Experienced guides lead trekkers on the best route to the top of the hill, ensuring that everyone is calm and comfortable throughout the journey. There is a pick up and drop facility from Bangalore for those participating in the trek as well as overnight accommodation.
Sakleshpur Trek - An Overview:
Location: Sakleshpur in the Hassan District of Karnataka
Difficulty Level: Moderate
Distance from Bangalore: 221 kilometres
Famous For: Gorgeous landscapes, easy-to-hike mountain trails
Trip Duration: Two days, two nights
Trek Distance and Duration: 8 kilometres one way, approximately 7 hours, including stopovers at the peak to complete the trek. Timings and distances may differ due to multiple route options.
Altitude: 1189 metres
The 8 kilometre stretch to the top of Murkan Gudda is not hard to complete. However, there are some parts of the trail that can be a little difficult to walk through.
How to reach Sakleshpur:
1. If you are driving to Sakleshpur, the journey will take you around three hours to reach. Parking is available at hotels and homestays in Sakleshpur, provided you book a room at any of them.
2. There is a train that leaves Bangalore station every morning for Sakleshpur. From Sakleshpur station you need to take a rickshaw or cab to the base of the Murkan Gudda peak.
Sakleshpur Weather Conditions:
1. Sakleshpur receives rainfall in the months of July and August.
2. The weather is cold from September to February.
3. In summer (March to May) temperatures can rise up to 38 degrees Celsius.
The Murkan Gudda Trek Route:
1. You can start the trek from Sakleshpur town.
2. The best route to take for trekking is the one that leads through Uddenamaradavaare all the way to the Murkan Gudda peak.
3. Stop over at the man-made lake that is located mid-way through the journey and enjoy a quick swim.
4. Along the trail, you will pass through the Saalugudda and Kallu Gudda.
Agni Gudda Route:
5. This route is also popular, along the Agni Gudda hiking trail, feast your eyes on rice terraces that are flanked on either side.
6. Mid-way through this hike, there are many spots ideal for camping or a picnic.
7. The end of the hiking trail reaches the Manjarabad Fort.
Best Time to Trek:
Despite the cool weather during the monsoon, trekking in Sakleshpur is difficult in the monsoon because the rocky terrains tends to get slippery. For the best experience, it is ideal to trek in the months from October to December. The weather is fabulous and the environment for trekking is an absolute joy.
Sakleshpur Trek - Two-day Trek Itinerary:
1. Leave Bangalore at 4.30 am; picking up passengers along the way.
2. Reach Sakleshpur at 7.30 am
3. Reach the homestay and have breakfast.
4. Trek guide will then brief hikers about dos and don’ts on the trek.
5. Leave for the trek at 9 am (you can go for a swim, midway at the waterfall).
6. Reach the peak at 11 am, relax, and enjoy stunning scenery.
7. Depart for baser via the Estate Walk at 12 pm
8. Reach the MagajiHalli waterfalls at 1 pm and then to base at 4pm.
9. Spend the rest of the day at the homestay enjoying the outdoor activities.
10. Wake up early and head out for the short Nemmadi Betta trek.
11. Grab lunch back at the homestay, rest for a while, before heading back to Bangalore by 5 pm.
Things to Carry:
1. Trekking shoes
2. Drinking water for the trek
3. Insect repellent, moisturizer, sunscreen lotion
4. Caps, light jacket and a backpack (if required)
5. Dry fruits and energy bars (if required)
6. Windcheater (if you are trekking in the monsoon)
7. An extra set of clothes and a towel (if you plan on swimming at the lake)
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The trek package includes the following:
1. Experienced trek guides
2. Homestay and all meals
3. Transport from and back to Bangalore
4. Forest department permissions
5. First-aid support
The package does not include:
1. Meals on the bus
3. Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
Best time to visit:
Monsoon is the best time to go trekking in Sakleshpur. The weather is cool and the greenery around is the perfect setting for a leisurely trek and awesome photography. The waterfalls are also gushing during the rainy season. Winter has its own charm; trekking during this season allows you to feast your eyes on the misty mountains.
Sakleshpur Trek - Map Location:
Sakleshpur is located in the Hassan region of Karnataka. The place is surrounded by lush hills and pretty coffee, tea and cardamom plantations. It is around 220 kilometres away from the city of Bangalore.
3 Amazing Things to Do on the Murkan Gudda Trek:
1. Photography: Along the way to the top of Murkan Gudda there are lookout points from where you can click stunning pictures of the valley and plantations.
2. Swimming: Along the trekking route, you will come across a massive man-made lake that is safe for swimming. The place is also great to watch the sunset or sunrise.
3. Visit the Ettina Bhuja: Ettina Bhuja is an interesting rock formation - it looks like the hump of an oxen. The rock formation is a famous tourist attraction and you can visit it on your way to the Murkan Gudda peak.
1. If you are not physically fit or have some medical ailments, check with your doctor if your body is capable of handling the trek.
2. Follow the instructions of the trek guide carefully.
3. Carry along all personal medication as there might not be chemists located near the trekking spot.
4. Before participating in the trek, make sure your body gets enough rest.
Treks Similar to Sakleshpur Trek:
There are a number of places for trekking in Bangalore. Here are the top picks for adventure treks, similar to Sakleshpur Trek:
- Ramanagara Trek
- Kudremukh Trek
- Skandagiri Trek
- Makalidurga Trek
- Kopatty Trek
- Savandurga Trek
- Sakleshpur Trek
- Nishani Motte Trek
- Mullayanagiri Trek
- Tadiandamol Trek
- Kodachadri Trek
- Anthargange Trek
- Sharavathi Trek
- Kotagiri Trek
- Kunti Betta Trek
- Bheemeshwari Trek
- Brahmagiri Trek
- Kurangani Trek
- Kemmangundi Trek
- Pushpagiri Trek
- Dudhsagar Trek
- Kundadri Trek
- Baba Budangiri Trek