The trail to the top of the Kopatty Hill is only a 7 kilometre hike so it’s nice for those who don’t want to walk too much. The trail begins from Cherambane Village and passes muddy roads with jeep tyre marks, gravel pathways, plantations and thick woodlands. Halfway through the Kopatty plains you will be able to see the gorgeous Coorg hills.
Image Credits: wikimedia.org
The trek begins on an easy note, it passes through gravel clad roads with trees on either side, surrounded by plantations on either side. As you trek higher and get closer to the peak, you will come across woodlands with dense vegetation. Be careful while walking through the forests, there are bugs and thorny bushes around. The journey through the forest leads you to a beautiful meadow and finally to Kopatty Peak.
Once you reach the top of the hill, you will be delighted to see glorious the beautiful landscapes of the Western Ghats and the Mandalpatti Plateau. The journey back to base is interesting and thrilling, you’ll have a lot of fun climbing down the mountain.
On the guided tour, you have the chance to explore Kopatty like never before. Veteran guides lead the trek through great routes and plan fun activities for you at the mountain peak.
Kopatty Trek Overview:
Location: Near Bhagamandala Town, Coorg
Difficulty Level: Easy to Moderate
Distance from Bangalore: 296 kilometres
Famous For: Panoramic views of the Mandalpatti plateau, assortment of beautiful trails.
Trip Duration: Two days, two nights.
Trek Distance and Duration: 14 kilometres both ways; approximately 6 hours to complete the trek.
Altitude: 1375 metres
Trekking to Kopatty hill is relatively easy for most of the journey. It gets a bit challenging as you get closer to the top of Kopatty Hill. On the way you will pass through some exciting terrains.
How to reach Kopatty:
1. The drive from Bangalore to Kopatty is about a six-hour journey passing through highways and toll booths. You can either drive down by your own car or hire a private taxi.
2. Take a bus in Bangalore from Kempegowda bus station to Madikeri and then another bus to Bhagamandala.
Kopatty Weather Conditions:
1. Winter in Kopatty begins from the month of November and goes on till February.
2. Monsoon sets in from the month of June and goes on till August.
3. Summers are from March to May. It’s not all that hot in summer.
The Kopatty Trek Route:
1. The best route to take is the rugged path near Mahavishnu Temple. It is the most scenic to trail through and is moderately difficult.
2. On the trail, you will pass through variegated land. Stop mid-way and take in the awe-inspiring nature around.
3. Look out for an old and abandoned house along the way.
4. If you want to take a break, there is a large tableland which is the perfect spot to rest.
5. From the top of the hill you can get a 360 degree view of Kopatty Village.
Best Time for Kopatty Trek:
The weather and environment is fantastic for trekking between the months of September to February.
Kopatty Trek - Two Day Trek Itinerary:
1. Depart Bangalore at 11 am, pick up passengers along the way.
2. Reach the homestay at Bhagamandala next day at 7 am.
3. Have breakfast at the homestay and then proceed to Kopatty base for the trek.
4. Begin the trek at 8 am after briefing by the trek leader.
5. Reach the top of the peak by 11 am, rest for a while and then eat a self-sponsored packed lunch.
6. Begin the climbing down Kopatty at 1 pm to reach by 4 pm.
7. Head back to the Bhagamandala homestay to enjoy fun games and activities.
8. Have dinner and then rest for the night.
9. Wake up early, have breakfast and do some sightseeing around Bhagamandala.
10. Leave for Bangalore by 10 am to reach the city by 5pm.
Things to Carry:
1. Clothes for two days
3. Moisturizer, Sunscreen & Lotion
4. Cap and Sunglasses (optional)
5. A windcheater (if you’re hiking in the monsoon)
6. Insect repellent
7. Sweater (if you go in the winter season)
8. Drinking Water
9. Energy bars or dry fruits (optional)
10. Camera (optional)
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The trek package includes the following:
1. Experienced trek guides
2. Homestay & Meals
3. Transportation to Koputty and back to Bangalore
4. First-Aid Support
5. Forest Department & Government Permission
The trek package does not include the following:
2. Self-sponsored meals
3. Anything not mentioned in the inclusions section
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
Best Time To Visit:
The best time to go trekking to Kopatty is during winter. Temperatures are nice and cool and the misty mountains are a sight to behold. Winter is also a great time to enjoy bonfires and camping at the peak of Kopatty Hill. Monsoons are great for trekking, too, but the trail can get a bit challenging to trek in the rainy season.
Kopatty Trek Location:
Kopatty is located close to Bhagamandala. It is about 300 kilometres away from Bangalore. Driving down to Kopatty will take you around 6 hours to reach.
3 Amazing Things to Do on the Kopatty Trek:
1. Explore the village: The Kopatty village is at the base of the hill. Spend an hour before your trek exploring the scenic villages. You’ll see many farms, animals grazing and old, rustic homes.
2. Photography: Midway through the trek, there is plenty of opportunity for nature photography. The views you encounter along the way is perfect for selfies and group pictures to share with friends.
3. Sri Bhagandeshwara Temple: The Sri Bhagandeshwara Temple has a legendary myth to it. The temple is made in true Kerala architectural style and is a nice place to visit, after your trek.
1. Wear a sturdy and comfortable pair of shoes for the trek.
2. It can get cold at the top of the mountain in winter, so carry a jacket or a sweater.
3. Take enough rest the day before the trek.
4. Carry along all your personal medication; there are a lack of chemists around Kopatty hill.
Treks Similar to Kopatty Trek:
As some of the best spots for trekking around Bangalore, these treks show best trails and great trekking experience:
- Ramanagara Trek
- Kudremukh Trek
- Skandagiri Trek
- Makalidurga Trek
- Savandurga Trek
- Kopatty Trek
- Sakleshpur Trek
- Nishani Motte Trek
- Mullayanagiri Trek
- Tadiandamol Trek
- Kodachadri Trek
- Anthargange Trek
- Sharavathi Trek
- Kotagiri Trek
- Kunti Betta Trek
- Bheemeshwari Trek
- Brahmagiri Trek
- Kurangani Trek
- Kemmangundi Trek
- Pushpagiri Trek
- Dudhsagar Trek
- Kundadri Trek
- Baba Budangiri Trek