The trek from Tikona Peth to the fort is the ideal choice for a getaway destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. The trail to the top is an exciting one and it passes through temples, caves, water tanks and steep steps. The highlight of the trek is walking over edgy trails. The trek ends at the extended parapet of the fort. To get to the fort one needs to climb the rocky parapet.
Image Credits: wikimedia.org
From the fort, catch excellent views of green hillocks of the Sahyadri Range and browse through the large doorways called Darwaja in the local language as well the high fortifications. At the fort, make sure to visit the seven tanks that till this day have clean, drinking water in each.
The guided tour is the perfect blend of thrilling experience and scenic views. It offers trekkers with an opportunity to see the countryside like never before and experience a thrilling hike.
An Overview of Tikona Fort Trek:
Location: Tikona Peth
Difficulty Level: Moderate
Distance from Mumbai: 121 kilometres
Famous For: Historic fort, moderately difficult trekking experience
Trip Duration: One day
Trek Distance and Duration: 5 kilometres, approximately 3 hours to complete the trek. Timings and distances may differ due to multiple route options and stopovers made.
Altitude: 1091 metres
Tikona Fort Trek - Difficulty Level:
When compared to some of the other hiking trails in Maharashtra, the Tikona Trek is relatively easier. Most part of the trail is not tedious or hard to contend with. As the trail nears the fort, there is a small portion that is steep. In the monsoon, the weather can be a hindrance - there’s fog in the air and visibility is low. The trails are also muddy and slippery.
How To Reach Tikona Fort:
1. Alight at Kamshet which is two stops ahead of Lonavala on the Mumbai-Pune rail route. Take a taxi or rickshaw from Kamshet Station and get down at Tikona Peth - it is a 40 minute drive.
2. Catch a bus from Mumbai to Lonavala and then take a taxi to Kamshet.
3. The third option is to drive down from Mumbai to Kamshet, the journey is a 2-hour drive.
Tikona Weather Conditions:
1.Summer starts in March and goes on till May. If you are comfortable with hot and humid conditions, trek during this season.
2. Monsoons are from June to August, the weather is cool but the trekking in the rainy season can be tough due to poor visibility and the slippery terrain.
3. Winter is from October to February, the weather is cool during this time of the year.
The Tikona Fort Trek Route:
1. Start the trek from Tikona Peth.
2. The route is moderately difficult and trekkers pass through green slopes and can see the serene valley in the background.
3. The trek takes around one and half hour to reach the Tikona Fort gate.
Best Time for Tikona Trek
The Tikona Fort trek is doable all through the year, but you would want to pick the ideal time based on climate and skill. Trekking in summer is exhausting owing to the hot climate, during the monsoon the weather is excellent but the trails are difficult. Winter is the overall best time to visit Tikona for a trek.
Itinerary for the Tikona Fort Trek:
1. Leave Mumbai for Tikona fort at 6 am.
2. Reach at Tikona peth at 9 am and have breakfast.
3. Start trekking to the fort at 10 am.
4. Reach the top at 11.30 am.
5. Explore the fort and enjoy a bit of sightseeing.
6. Descend down to base at 1 pm.
7. Reach Tikona Peth at 2.30 pm.
8. Have lunch at 3 pm.
9. Make the journey towards Mumbai at 4 pm to reach by 7 pm.
Things to Carry:
1. A backpack
2. Two litres of drinking water
3. Personal medication, if needed
8. Camera and/or binocular
9. Sunglasses and a cap (optional)
10. Sunscreen and lotion (optional)
11. Insect repellant
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The trek package includes the following:
1. Breakfast and lunch
2. Transportation from Mumbai to Tikona Peth and back
3. First-aid support
4. Trek guide fees
The package does not include:
1. Meals on the bus
3. Any other cost not mentioned in the inclusions
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
Tikona Fort Trek - Map Location:
Tikona is located near Kamshet district in Maharashtra. It is situated around 150 kilometres from Mumbai.
3 Amazing Things to Do On the Tikona Fort Trek:
Tikona Fort: The Tikona Fort is famous for its pyramid shape. At the end of the trek, visit the fort to check out monuments and the big doors. There is also a temple dedicated to Trimbakeshwar Mahadev at the fort.
Pawna Lake: Visit the Pawna Lake near Tikona for a refreshing break. The ambiance is fantastic and there is boating to enjoy.
Rock Cisterns at Tikona Fort: Make sure to check out the amazing rock cisterns at the Tikona Fort. The structure will leave you in awe and the construction is mesmerizing.
1. Follow the instructions of the group leader
2. Carry all prescribed medication as there might not be chemist stores near the trekking area.
4. Have light meals before heading for the trek.
5. Rest adequately before the trek so that you do not get tired from the walking.