Churchgate is the Southern terminus on the Western Line of the Mumbai Suburban Railway. It is located in Churchgate in South Mumbai.HistoryEarly historyChurchgate station gets its name from Church Gate street which is on the immediate south of the station. This is the first station of the Western Railway suburban network of Mumbai. Churchgate station is a terminus of Western Railway line of Mumbai suburban railway. It is the southernmost station of the city, though up to the 1931, Colaba was the southernmost station, however the rail line was removed beyond Churchgate, making Churchgate the southernmost station.The Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway (present Western Railway) was inaugurated in 1855 with the construction of rail line(BG) between Ankleshwar and Uttaran (a distance of 29 miles). In 1859 this line was further extended on the west coast up to Bombay. By 1867, a track along the foreshore, further than Grant Road station was constructed, up to the station named as "Bombay Backbay" near Marine Lines. On 12 April 1867, the first suburban train was started with one train each way from Virar to Bombay Back Bay. The stations were then named, "Viraur, Neela, Bassein, Panje, Borewla, Pahadee, Andaru, Santa Cruz, Bandora, Mahim, Dadur, Grant Road and Bombay Backbay".In year 1870, Churchgate was first time mentioned as the station. The line further extended towards Colaba in 1872, and goods shed was built there. In year 1896, a brand new station was established at Colaba to serve as terminus for both passenger and suburban lines. The Government of Bombay issued order to the railway to hand over the section of rail line between Churchgate and Colaba. Therefore Bombay Central (Mumbai Central), a new station was constructed near Bellasis Bridge, which was opened on 18 December 1930. From the midnight of 31 December, Colaba, ceased to be a terminus.