If you want to see the dazzling fireflies in the dark, then come to Matheran. This trek is most spectacular in weeks preceding the monsoon when tiny insects come out of a long slumber for mating season. Fireflies exhibit bioluminescence, a phenomenon which makes them glow in the dark to attract a mate.
21:00 - Assemble at Panvel Station and later move to the base village
22:30 - Reach base village. Have Introduction and dinner
00:00 - Start trekking and enjoy spotting the fireflies all along the way
03:30 - Reach Louisiana point and relax for a few hours. We have the option of a campfire.
06:00 - Explore and have breakfast. Early morning is the best time for enjoying Matheran.
09:00 - Start descending towards Panvel (same route as ascending) along with the trek leader. Trek ends here for those who want to take a cab instead of descending. Take cab from Dasturi naka for Neral station.
12:00 - Reach Panvel and take the train back to Mumbai
14:00 - Reach Mumbai
- Travel from Panvel to base village and back
- Saturday Dinner
- Sunday Breakfast
- Cab fare from Matheran to Neral (Approx Rs.80) and train tickets
- Bottled water/cold drinks
- Sunday Lunch
- Anything not mentioned above
Things to carry:
- 2 liter water (preferably in personal reusable bottles)
- Good trekking shoes or sport shoes
- Mats for sleeping (approx 2 hrs)
- Torches (other than mobile)
- A double strap bag. Sling bag not allowed in trek
- We appreciate people carrying healthy foods like juice packets, fruits, dry fruits etc.