The Grand Garbett Trek is one of the most scenic one day treks in the Sahyadri Mountains!
The trek begins with an easy-going stroll along the banks of the pristine Dhom Lake before you cross freshwater streams and rustic villages.
The unending scenery of the green meadows on this trek is a surreal visual treat and much more than we can explain. The cool monsoon winds in the midst of the clouds and rain make this trek an experience to remember forever!
About the location : At a distance of 17 km from Matheran and 8 km from Diksal, Garbett Point or Garbut Point is located near Matheran with a grand view of the plateau below. The huge plateau overlooks various waterfalls from the neighboring mountains. Trekking to the Garbett Point is also one of the top things to do in Matheran and one of the most scenic places to visit near Mumbai.
Garbut Point, situated at a 5 km walking distance from Matheran Railway Station, is a comparatively secluded and less visited vantage point. Flanked by a gorgeous valley on one side and the thick jungle on the other, Garbett Point is a place from where enthralling views of sunrise and sunset can be observed.
The difficulty level of this trek is MODERATE, however this is an Endurance based trek.
This means the ease of climbing up to the summit is Moderate, however the duration of the trek is long. Participants must be mentally ready to walk for a few hours.
The trek duration is 5 hours. There will be stops during the trek for rest and rehydration.
If you haven't been for a trek, you should know that there is a lot of walking. Moderate treks begin to present more of a challenge to first time trekkers. So these treks are suitable for anyone looking for something a little more challenging and energetic. However, we believe that the best views come after the hardest climbs. The payoff is always equivalent to the effort.
At every summit, you are welcomed by the most majestic views & at the end of every trek, you learn that you are taking back home a lifetime of memories.
Trip Itinerary: -
- Meet at CST Ticket Counter at 6.30 am
- Reach Bhivpuri via train
- Breakfast on arrival at Bhivpuri
- Post breakfast, we begin our trek
- Stop for open lunch whilst enjoying the magnificence of Garbett Plateau and adjacent mountains
- Post lunch, we continue our trek towards Garbett point and head to Matheran where the trek ends
- From the exit of Matheran, we board a private taxi to Neral Station
- Back to Mumbai by 9 pm
- Guidance by Certified Mountaineers trained at Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering, Jammu & Kashmir.
- First Aid by Certified Wilderness First Responder (WFR), trained by Wilderness Medical Associates International, USA.
- Local transport from Mumbai to summit and back.
- Morning breakfast, high tea and evening snacks.
How to pack and prepare:
- Grab a small to medium-sized bag and put in items mentioned in our Essentials list.
The less heavier your bag is, the more easier your trek will be.
- 2-3 litres of water
- Snacks and munchies to keep you high on energy - Personal Identification
- Personal medication if any (Please do let us know in advance about any medical conditions, if any)
A Sturdy Pair Of Shoes: - This is CRUCIAL as a bad pair could turn your trek into a nightmare. Check your shoes for possible wear and tear.
The Right Clothing: - T-shirt & shorts/full pants are ideal. Ensure that you are comfortable in what you choose to wear and that the material does not restrict your movement while trekking and climbing. Full clothing is recommended.
High tea and evening snacks
Trek Gyaan / Attitude: Staying open minded, positive & faithful
A trek in the forest requires for one to stay positive and open minded at all times regardless of the situation. Mind you, this is not a picnic but a trek in the mountains. Mother nature could choose for the weather and environment to be tough or easy on us. However it is important for us to stay grounded and keep our heads over our shoulders, to not panic and to keep confidence in the decision of the trek leaders.
50% Cancellation Fee will apply if your booking is cancelled before 5 days from the date of trip
100% Cancellation Fee will apply if your booking is cancelled within 5 days from the date of trip
Jack & Hill Adventures is a Mumbai-based adventure tourism company that creates outdoor & adventure experiences in & around Mumbai. Few of our activities are Sailing, Trekking, Camping, Mountain biking & Wildlife trails. You can check out our list of upcoming trips here: Jack & Hill Adventures