Delhi Technological University (DTU), formerly known as Delhi College of Engineering was established in 1941 as Delhi Polytechnic, and was under the control of the government of India. The college has been under the government of the National Capital Territory of Delhi since 1963 and has been affiliated to the University of Delhi since 1952. Vide Act 6 of 2009 Govt of NCT of Delhi has upgraded DCE to an independent university with the name Delhi Technological University. History- Established as Delhi Polytechnic in 1941, the technical school was created to cater to the demands of Indian industries. At that time the Delhi Polytechnic offered courses in Arts, Architecture, Commerce, Engineering, Applied Science and Textiles. The National Diploma awarded by the Delhi Polytechnic was considered equivalent to B.E. Degree by the then UPSC. In 1962, after the administration of Delhi Polytechnic was taken over from Ministry of Education, India, to Delhi State, it was renamed as "Delhi College of Engineering" in 1965. Thence various departments offering courses in different disciplines separated to form institutes addressing specific areas. The Department of Arts became College of Arts and the Department of Commerce and Business Administration further divided into several institutes of Commerce and Secretarial Practices. Subsequently, Bachelor of Engineering courses in Civil, Electrical, Electronics and Mechanical Engineering were started. Delhi Assembly passed a Bill on July 1, 2009 paving way for upgradation of Delhi College of Engineering to Delhi Technological University. New BE programmes in software engineering, automotive engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, engineering physics are introduced. Courses on bio-technology, nano-technology, bio-informatics, computational mathematics and MBA in knowledge and technology management and information systems management also introduced.