The Chadar Trek is a trekker’s delight. There are stunning sceneries, interesting and challenging terrain to walk through and a cool climate to enjoy. A trek not for the faint-hearted, the Chadar trail passes through challenging terrain in harsh weather conditions.
Image Credits: Shutterstock
The highlight of the trek is walking through thick blankets of the snow, it is challenging and fun at the same time.
The guided trek is a 9-day trip that includes acclimatization exercises, sightseeing and camping at exotic locations on the hills. The trek is led by experienced hikers who plan the itinerary especially for the convenience of trekkers.
An Overview of Chadar Trek:
Location: Zanskar Valley
Difficulty Level: Difficult
Distance from Delhi: 1005 kilometres
Famous For: Breathtaking Himalayan mountain ranges, the stunning Zanskar Valley
Trip Duration: 9 days
Trek Distance and Duration: 62 kilometres, approximately 6 days to complete the trek. Actual timings depend on the route taken and the itinerary
Altitude: 3390 metres
Difficulty Level On Chadar Trek:
Chadar Trek is one of the most difficult treks in India. It is suitable for only those trekkers who are extremely fit and have experience hiking through rough terrain at high altitudes. The harsh, cold weather is another reason why Chadar is one of the most difficult treks in India.
How to reach Leh for the Chadar Trek:
1. Leh is the starting point for the Chadar Trek.
2. To get to Leh from Delhi, you can either travel by road or by air.
3. There are flights from Delhi International Airport to Leh Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport. Flights start at Rs. 8,000 for a one-way journey.
4. JKSRTC and HRTC run buses between Delhi and Leh. The journey is long and tiring.
5. There are private SUVs and jeeps that can be rented from Delhi.
Chadar Trek Weather Conditions:
1. Summers are from April to July. Temperature in summer are mild to moderately hot.
2. Monsoon is from July to September. Leh sees erratic showers in the monsoons, but the weather is fantastic. Visit during the monsoon for laid-back vacation.
3. Winter is from October to February, it is extremely cold in peak winter and there’s snow all around.
Chadar Trek Route:
1. Chadar Trek starts from Leh. Head there and first explore the city before heading out for the long trek.
2. The first leg of the tour is from Leh to Shingra Yokma via Chilling and Tilad Do. This distance will be covered by a jeep. On the route, keep a lookout for beautiful scenery and amazing spots such as Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill and the confluence of the Zanskar.
3. The actual trek begins from Shingra Yokma. At this point, people who are not fit or fail the medical exam can opt to take the much easier Flavor of Winter Ladakh tour.
4. Those who are fit can make the climb up to Tibb Cave and from there, the trek trails all the way to Gyalpo.
5. After an overnight stay in Gyalpo, make the climb back to Shingra Yokma and then to Leh by road.
Location: The Chadar trek is located in the Zanskar Valley, the trek starts from Leh that is about 1005 kilometres from Delhi.
Best Time to Trek:
For the best trekking experience, it is best to go between January and February. There is snow all around the trekking trails and the weather is cold. Trekking is difficult in winter, but not impossible. During the month of December, most trails on the route are closed for trekking. For a more comfortable experience, trek in summer.
Itinerary for the Chadar Trek:
1. Meet at Leh
2. Move to the hostel and after a short rest, head out to explore the city.
3. Meet for dinner
4. Call it a day
5. Spend the second day relaxing and in the afternoon there will be an acclimatization walk.
6. In the evening, visit the markets and do some shopping.
7. Retire for the night at the guesthouse.
8. After breakfast leave for Shingra Yokma via Chilling & Tilad Do by road. The drive will be a 3-4 hour long journey.
9. The route passes through iconic landmarks such as Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill and the confluence of the Zanskar.
10. Reach the campsite at Shingra Yokma and go for an acclimatization walk.
11. Come back to the campsite and spend the night in tents.
12. The first leg of the trek starts from Shingra Yokma to Tibb Cave. Those that aren't fit enough for the trek or fail to pass the medical exam can opt out and choose to go on the Flavor of Winter Ladakh tour.
13. The first leg of the trek is a 7 hour journey to Tibb Cave.
14. Reach the cave, rest for a while then head to the campsite.
15. Wake up early, have a light breakfast and then head out for the Naerak Camp Trek.
16. Reach Naerak Camp in the afternoon and then spend the rest of the day at the campsite.
17. Make the journey back to Tibb Cave.
18. Spend the night at a campsite in tents at Tibb Cave.
19. Make the early morning trek from Tibb Cave to Gyalpo.
20. On this route, negotiate mountain walls near the river and tread through steep slopes.
21. At some spots, there is a high chance of spotting a snow leopard.
22. Enjoy an overnight stay in tents at Gyalpo.
23. This is the last leg of the trek, it will be from Gyalpo to Shingra Yokma.
24. Reach Shingra Yokma and then board the jeep back to Leh.
25. Spend an overnight in a guesthouse in Leh.
26. Depart back to Delhi after breakfast.
Things to Carry:
1. Clothes for 9 days
2. A strong and sturdy pair of trekking shoes
3. A strong backpack
4. Sunscreen and moisturizer
5. Camera or binoculars (optional)
6. Sunglasses (optional)
7. Prescribed medication
8. Torch with batteries
9. A warm hat
10. A towel
11. ID proof like driving license, voters ID card, passport
12. Drinking water for the trek
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The trek package includes the following:
1. Transportation from Leh to and back to Leh
2. Qualified trek guide fees
3. Camping facilities
4. First-aid support
5. Meals at the camp and guesthouse
6. Guesthouse stay at Leh
The trek package does not include the following:
1. Transport from Delhi to Leh
2. Transit meals
4. Any other item not mentioned in the inclusions section
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
3 Amazing Things to Do On a Chadar Trek:
Camping: The Chadar Trek is a fantastic opportunity for camping in addition to the trekking experience. On the route from Shingra Yokma to Gyalpo, there are excellent spots where you can set up a tent and watch the stars twinkle in the sky.
Explore Leh: Leh is one of the most beautiful places in India and since you will be starting the Chadar trek from Leh, use the opportunity to explore the city of Leh and soak in its rich Tibetan heritage.
Visit the Tibb Cave: The Tibb Cave is a famous camping spot. There is a waterfall near the cave and a few other amazing places to see. In the morning, catch glimpses of sun-kissed mountains.
1. Make sure you are physically fit to trek for long hours.
2. Follow all the instructions of the trek leader.
3. Get acclimatized to high altitudes.
4. Carry all your prescribed medication and medicine for high altitudes.
5. Ensure that you aren't afraid of heights.
6. Follow the medical advice of the doctors who conduct check-ups before the trek.