Founded by H. P. Blavatsky, Henry Steel Olcott, William Quan Judge and others in the year 1975, The Theosophy Society was originally established in New York. It was only in 1886 that the headquarters of the Theosophical Society was moved to Adayar in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. ‘The Theosophy Society’ was the name by which it was founded by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky in Adayar.
The rules are simple, the Theosophical Society is open to anybody who supports its three objects, regardless of religious belief, social custom or marriage status. Each member of the society is free to decide his or her own way of life. The Society imposes no particular belief on its members. Members of the Theosophical Society are united by a common search for Truth and desire to learn the meaning and purpose of existence through study, reflection, self-responsibility and loving service. Within the society, members are organised in lodges. When a country has a minimum of seven lodges, these can be gathered and can be considered as a national section.
Popularly known by the name "Huddleston Gardens", the Theosophical Society garden lies to the south of the Adyar River. This are of the rivers bank covers about 260 acres of land. The garden by itself is a major highlight of the Theosophical Society headquarters. It serves as home to a wide variety of colourful migratory birds, fruit bats, snakes, jackals, wild cats, mongooses, hares, and spiders. The flora in these gardens is commendable as well. The trees include the rare mahogany and other trees from across the globe. It also had a 450-year-old banyan tree which has been locally named ad the ‘Adyar aala maram’, this tree is of special significance as it has aerial roots that has spread to a stupendous 60,000 sq m! Unfortunately, the Adyar aala maram collapsed under its own weight in the year 1996. The Huddleston Gardens sounds like paradise for bird watchers and nature lovers, doesn’t it?