Located 394 kilometres from Bangalore, Kodachadri Peak is home to lush green forests and many beautiful waterfalls at an altitude of 1343 metres above sea level. It is the 10th highest peak in Karnataka, and has been declared a natural heritage sight by the government of Karnataka. It serves as a backdrop for the famous Mookambika Temple in Kollur.
The name Kodachadri is derived from the words ‘Kodacha’ and ‘Adri’ which mean ‘jasmine hills’ in the local language. Apart from being home to plantations, the location also has a stunning range of biodiversity. Here you can see the Pied Hornbill, Rock Python, Langoor and many species.
This trek will take you through lush dense forest, picturesque landscapes, beautiful waterfalls, give you a glimpse of the Arabian Sea and lead you along a challenging trail. A 2-day trip is an ideal way to explore this peak.
Kodachadri Trek - An Overview:
Location: Near Kollur, Shimoga district, Karnataka
Difficulty Level: Moderate to strenuous
Distance from Bangalore: 394 kilometres
Famous for: Breathtaking views, dense forests, high waterfalls
Trip Duration: Two days, one night
Trek Distance & Duration: 4 kilometres (one way), 3 to 4 hours each way
Altitude: 1343 metres
The difficulty level is moderate to strenuous. Those with intermediate fitness levels can undertake this trek. However, keep in mind that it becomes difficult during the heavy rains due to some steep inclines.
How to reach Kodachadri:
1. The Kodachadri trek route is very accessible by road. You can find two KSRTC Rajahamsa buses that directly reach Kollur from Bangalore via Shimoga.
2. You can drive up to Kollur, it will take around eight hours to cover 394 kilometres from Bangalore.
Kodachadri Weather Conditions:
1. It is cold and very misty from October to February.
2. It is difficult to trek during the heavy monsoons If you are experienced you can trek during normal rains but not during heavy rains.
3. During the summers, the weather is hot but not uncomfortable.
Best time for Kodachadri Trek:
The best time to visit Kodachadri Peak is from October to February. The weather is cool and comfortable. It's always best to trek in winter. It is difficult to trek during the monsoon, but it can be done if the rain is not heavy.
Kodachadri Trek - Two Day Itinerary:
1. Leave Bangalore at 8.30 pm and pick up passengers at four points in the city.
2. Reaching destination by 6.30 am.
3. On arriving, freshen up and have breakfast.
4. Before starting the trek there will be a quick warm up and trek guidelines session.
5. At 8.30 am begin journey to Hidlumane Falls and spend some time there.
6. Begin the trek to the the top of the hill and have lunch on the way.
7. Return to the homestay by 6.30 pm, freshen up and have dinner.
8. Wake up at 7.00 am, freshen up and have breakfast..
9. At 9.00 am start travelling to Nagara Fort to sightsee.
10. Leave for Bangalore and reach there by 8 pm.
Things to carry:
1. Drinking water. At least 2 litres is recommended
2. Trekking shoes and a torch
3. Clothes for two days
4. Sunscreen lotion, moisturiser and insect repellent
5. Tissue paper
6. A backpack, and light jacket or poncho, depending on the season
7. A cap and sunglasses (if necessary)
8. Dry fruits, energy bars (if necessary)
9. Power bank
10. Personal medicines for two days
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The package includes the following:
1. Transport from Bangalore to Shimoga and back
2. Homestay, with all meals
3. Veteran guides to take you up to the summit
4. First-aid support
5. Forest department permissions
This package does not include:
1. Meals on the bus
3. Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
Kodachadri Trek - Location:
Kodachadri Peak is the 10th highest peak in state of Karnataka located in the Shimoga district. It is around 394 kilometres from Bangalore.
3 Amazing Things to Do on the Kodachadri Trek:
Photography: The marvellous landscape, the mist, the flora and fauna all create great photo opportunities. Not to mention group photos with your trekking buddies.
Camping: Pitch a tent, set up a bonfire, sing a few songs, maybe even cook a meal. This is the place to experience the great outdoors!
Hidlumane Falls: You can find the falls in your way upto the hill, one of the famous waterfalls in Shimoga district. A great spot to relax for a while before you reach the top.
Nagara Fort: The best way to end the trip is by visiting this ancient fort. You can view the surroundings of the Western Ghats and the remains of the palace.
1. Should you have any ailments, do check with your doctor if your body is strong enough to do the trek.
2. Be sure to wear the right kind of footwear. Proper trekking shoes with good grip is recommended as some parts of the trail may be steep and slippery.
3. Bring along personal medication as there may not be pharmacies available close by.
4. Take rest the days before the trek as we will be walking/climbing for long hours.
5. Wear appropriate clothing that is light and breathable for trekking.
6. In order to have a safe and happy experience, follow the guidelines given by the instructors.
Treks Similar to Kodachadri Trek:
There are a number of places for trekking in Bangalore. Here are the top picks for adventure treks, similar to Kodachadri Trek:
- Ramanagara Trek
- Kudremukh Trek
- Skandagiri Trek
- Makalidurga Trek
- Kopatty Trek
- Savandurga Trek
- Sakleshpur Trek
- Nishani Motte Trek
- Mullayanagiri Trek
- Tadiandamol Trek
- Kodachadri Trek
- Anthargange Trek
- Sharavathi Trek
- Kotagiri Trek
- Kunti Betta Trek
- Bheemeshwari Trek
- Brahmagiri Trek
- Kurangani Trek
- Kemmangundi Trek
- Pushpagiri Trek
- Dudhsagar Trek
- Kundadri Trek
- Baba Budangiri Trek