The majestic Dudhsagar is one of the highest waterfalls in India. It is a nature and adventure lover’s dream place and it’s great for trekking. To get to the falls, you will have to trek through a mix of easy-to-walk-on terrain, muddy roads and trails surrounded by dense vegetation. All along the routes you’ll come across stunning sceneries and tall green trees.
Image Credits: wikimedia.org
On the way to the waterfalls, you’ll also get to see trains passing through the mountains. When you reach the waterfall, spend time swimming and relaxing. Those who love photography can click stunning pictures of the landscape around Dudhsagar Falls. If you think the climb up is impressive, wait till you trek on the trail back down to base - it is even more exciting.
Guided treks is designed to give you a fantastic hiking experience. Planned by veteran guides, the trek has thrilling surprises in store. There is a pick up bus from Bangalore to the trekking point so that you can easily get to Dudhsagar falls.
Dudhsagar Trek - An Overview
Location: Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary
Difficulty Level: Moderate
Distance from Bangalore: 548 kilometres
Famous For: Dudhsagar Waterfalls, an interesting trekking trail, hornbill watching
Trip Duration: Two days, two nights
Trek Distance & Duration: 11-14 kilometres, depending on the route you take; approximately 6 hours to complete the trek
Altitude: 320 metres
The difficulty levels of trekking at Dudhsagar Waterfalls depends on the route you take. Most of the routes are moderately difficult, but there are some routes that can be tedious and long to trek on.
How to Get to Dudhsagar:
1. The drive from Bangalore to the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary is about a ten-hour journey.
2. Take a train from Yesvantpur Junction to Londa and then hire a taxi to Kulem to get to the Dudhsagar Falls.
3. There are many private buses that depart from the Bangalore Kempegowda bus stop to Goa. The get down stop is Madgaon and from there take a taxi to Kulem.
Dudhsagar Falls Weather Conditions:
1. The monsoon (June to August) brings in cool weather and heavy rain.
2. Summer begins in the month of March and goes on till early June. Temperatures can rise to around 36 degrees Celsius in summer.
3. Winter (October-end to February) is pleasant and the climate at the Dudhsagar Falls is at its best.
The Dudhsagar Trek Route:
There are a few hiking routes to the Dudhsagar Falls.
Trek Route 1
1. One route starts at the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and passes through forest and muddy terrain.
Trek Route 2
2. The trek from Kulem is a good one to take if you are looking for an enjoyable and scenic route. It passes through varied terrain and jeep trails that are surrounded by amazing sceneries.
Trek Route 3
3. A third alternative is the Castle Rock route. The problem with this route is that sometimes the railway police at the station won’t allow trekkers to walk on the tracks and tunnels that exist on the trail to the waterfall.
Best Time for Dudhsagar Trek:
For a great trekking experience, it is best to visit Dudhsagar Falls in the monsoon (June to August). The weather is cool and during the rainy season the waterfalls come to life. Trekking between the months of October to February is also a good idea.
Two-Day Itinerary for Dudhsagar Trek:
1. Begin the journey from Bangalore by bus, picking up passengers at designated stops along the way.
1.Reach the campsite at 8.30 am, freshen up and get ready for the trek.
2. Begin the trek at 10 am and reach the waterfall at 1 pm.
3. Have lunch at the peak, enjoy a swim and relax at the waterfall before departing back to base at 3 pm.
4. Reach the base at 6 pm.
5. Enjoy campsite activities (weather permitting).
6. Relish a traditional Goan dinner.
7. Retire for the night.
8. Have an early breakfast and leave for Bangalore by 9 am.
9. The bus reaches Bangalore by 9 pm.
Things to Carry:
1. Clothes and toiletries for a 2 day trip
2. Around 3 litres of drinking water for the trek
3. A raincoat or windcheater (if you are trekking in the monsoon)
4. Insect repellent
5. Drinking water (around 2 litres should be enough)
6. Camera (optional)
7. Sunglasses and cap (optional)
8. A backpack that isn’t too bulky
Inclusions & Exclusions:
The cost of package includes:
1. Fee of trekking guides
2. Travel to and back to Bangalore
3. First-aid kits
4. Meals at campsite
5. Camping activities
The cost of package does not include:
7. Self-sponsored meals
8. Any costs not mentioned in the inclusions
Disclaimer: The information about the trek here is general. We request the trekkers refer to the details on the specific Event / Trek Booking page for specific detail.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Dudhsagar is between the months of June to December. The monsoon season that starts in June is a great time to visit if you are trekking at the Dudhsagar Falls. The weather is fabulous and the waterfall is at its best.
Dudhsagar Trek Map Location:
Dudhsagar is located at the border of Goa and Karnataka. The drive from Bangalore is a ten-hour journey by road.
3 Amazing Things to do on a Dudhsagar Trek:
1. Enjoy the Waterfall: Trekkers come to Dudhsagar to enjoy the amazing waterfalls. Visiting them in the monsoon is an experience to remember. The gushing waterfalls are sight to behold and the weather is amazing too.
2. Visit the Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary: The Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary is a nice place to visit on your trip to the falls. There are elephant rides to enjoy and you can even take a safari tour through the forest.
3. See the Tambdi Surla Temple: This is an old temple near the forest. It has amazing stonework on the walls and inside the sanctum there is an idol of Lord Shiva made of stone.
1. This is a trek of moderate intensity, but you would still want to check with your doctor before participating.
2. Make a note of all the instructions given by the guide carefully.
2. Wear comfortable trekking shoes so that you do not have problems while going up slippery trail.
3. In case you need to, carry all your prescribed medication. There might not be chemists or medical stores nearby.
4. Make sure you get enough rest before leaving Bangalore.
Treks Similar to Dudhsagar Trek:
As some of the best spots for trekking around Bangalore, these treks show best trails and great trekking experience:
- Ramanagara Trek
- Kudremukh Trek
- Skandagiri Trek
- Makalidurga Trek
- Savandurga Trek
- Kopatty Trek
- Sakleshpur Trek
- Nishani Motte Trek
- Mullayanagiri Trek
- Tadiandamol Trek
- Kodachadri Trek
- Anthargange Trek
- Sharavathi Trek
- Kotagiri Trek
- Kunti Betta Trek
- Bheemeshwari Trek
- Brahmagiri Trek
- Kurangani Trek
- Kemmangundi Trek
- Pushpagiri Trek
- Dudhsagar Trek
- Kundadri Trek
- Baba Budangiri Trek